MSPE Southwest Chapter
MissouriSociety of Professional Engineers
2019 Chapter Mathcounts Competition
Every year the Missouri Society of Professional Engineers (http://www.mspe.org) organizes a local and state Mathcounts competition for 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.
The MATHCOUNTS Foundation (https://www.mathcounts.org) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides engaging math programs to U.S. middle school students of all ability levels in order to build confidence and improve attitudes towards math and problem solving. Middle school students exist at a critical juncture in which their love for mathematics must be nurtured, or their fear of mathematics must be overcome. MATHCOUNTS provides students with the kinds of experiences that foster growth and transcend fear to lay a foundation for future success.
For more than 30 years MATHCOUNTS has provided enriching, extracurricular opportunities to students and free, high-quality resources to educators. Every child is unique, but we believe all children are capable of seeing the beauty and joy of math, whether they come to us already passionate about math, or intimidated by it.
This year’s competition is held at:
MSSU Billingsly Student Center: Room 335
February 16th, 2019
8:00am – 12:30pm
Students are in teams of 4 and endure 4 categories of testing:
- Sprint Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have 40 minutes to complete 30 math problems without a calculator.
- Target Round: focuses on problem-solving and mathematical reasoning. Students receive 4 pairs of problems and have 6 minutes to complete each pair, assuming the use of a calculator.
- Team Round: focuses on problem-solving and collaboration. Students have 20 minutes to complete 10 math problems, assuming the use of a calculator. Only the 4 students on a school's team can take this round officially.
- Countdown Round: focuses on speed and accuracy. Students have a maximum of 45 seconds per problem without a calculator.
Participating schools this year are:
- Lamar Middle School
- Nevada Middle School
- Thomas Jefferson Independent Day School
- Marionville Middle School
- Monett Middle School
- Streeter Home School
Southwest Chapter Geographic Region includes the counties of Bates, Vernon, Barton, Jasper, Newton, McDonald, Barry, Lawrence, Dade, Cedar, and St. Clair. Major cities/towns include Joplin, Neosho, Nevada, Carthage, Monett, Aurora, Lamar, Mt. Vernon, and Butler.
For more information contact:
Jason Osiek, Southwest Chapter Mathcounts Coordinator